Tinnitus can manifest as an acute symptom lasting just a few days, or a chronic or recurring symptom lasting weeks, months or years. It is often described as a ringing in the ears, but is also reported to sound like hissing, buzzing, roaring, sizzling, clicking or other noise.
If your quality of life is affected by tinnitus it’s a great idea to visit an audiologist for an evaluation. Our audiologist, Deanna Ross AuD, is properly trained with many tools and strategies to help patients with very bothersome tinnitus, but first we need to assess your condition.
What to Expect During a Tinnitus Evaluation
There are several goals we hope to accomplish when we evaluate a tinnitus patient:
- Identify the underlying cause of your tinnitus symptoms.
- Determine if your tinnitus is subjective or objective.
- Assess whether you’re experiencing decreased sound tolerance (hyperacusis and/or misophonia).
- Pinpoint the frequency and loudness of the sound you’re hearing.
Tinnitus is a symptom of a wide range of health conditions, and it can occasionally point to a more serious problem that needs professional medical attention. This is one reason why our interdisciplinary team approach is so beneficial to our patients.
If we can determine a diagnosis and address the condition causing your tinnitus, we may also be able to treat that condition and relieve your symptoms. If we can’t identify a specific cause of your tinnitus, we will recommend other treatment options.
During a tinnitus evaluation, an audiologist will administer:
- An in-depth written and verbal interview.
- A complete physical examination of your auditory system.
- A pure tone and ultra-high frequency audiometry test.
- Speech reception and word recognition tests.
- An otoacoustic emissions test.
- Additional tests, studies and evaluations.
Following the tinnitus evaluation Dr. Ross will administer an in-depth written and verbal interview to determine the treatment approach most suitable for your needs.
Call Albany ENT & Allergy Services at (518) 701-2085 for more information or to schedule an appointment.