New Year’s resolutions often include setting goals for activity levels, healthy eating and mental health, but have you ever considered setting resolutions for your ear, nose and throat health? Now may be the time to do so, for both you and your family.
Consider the negative impact chronic conditions may have had over your past year. For example, ear infections are the most common reason parents bring their children to the doctor. Additionally, in a one-year period, there were 73 million restricted activity days related to sinusitis in individuals. Investigating and treating chronic conditions through preventative ENT doctor visits could be the key to unlocking a healthy 2024 for you and your loved ones.
Explore these common conditions and causes that could be alleviated with resolutions to better safeguard your ENT well-being:
Common conditions that should warrant a trip to an ENT specialist include ear infections, hearing loss, dizziness or vertigo or ringing in the ears. Those experiencing tinnitus and vertigo often don’t seek treatment right away, resulting in the worsening of their condition. And chronic ear infections in children can often be resolved with an ear tube surgery.
To prioritize your ear health, consider committing to do the following things this year:
- Schedule a hearing test for yourself and your family members.
- Protect your hearing by turning down the volume on devices and wearing appropriate hearing protection, such as earplugs, when doing loud yard work.
- Practice ear and hearing health by drying ears thoroughly and not sticking items like cotton swabs in your ears.
Allergy, Sinus & Nose
A chronic stuffy nose could be a sign of sinusitis. When sinusitis becomes chronic, it resists treatment or symptoms may last longer than three months. As for allergies, untreated allergy symptoms can result in sinusitis, ear infections, or even just worsening allergy symptoms themselves. You deserve to feel better quickly via proper treatment.
In 2024, commit to the following to better your allergy, sinus and nose health:
- Take allergy drops or medications on schedule, with no breaks.
- If you experience allergy symptoms such as coughing, itchy eyes, runny nose or food reactions, call to schedule an allergy test.
- Regularly use sinus rinses and avoid over-the-counter allergy sprays.
- If you think you have a sinus infection, see a doctor.
Chronic sore throat and tonsillitis are common reasons people take their children to see a doctor. Treatment also varies depending on the cause, so it’s important to see a doctor if you or a family member has a sore throat. Sleep apnea and enlarged lymph nodes are also good reasons to receive treatment and prompt treatment can lead to more healthy days.
Resolve the following things this year to optimize your throat health:
- See a doctor if you have a sore throat
- Keep any scheduled thyroid appointments
- If you have poor sleep, consider an ENT appointment to check for sleep apnea
Ear, nose and throat health typically work together for your overall health, and a sickness in one can often impact another. Maintain regular preventative appointments as part of your 2024 wellness plan and enjoy a healthier new year.
For further information about allergy or ENT health, contact Albany ENT & Allergy Services to schedule an appointment.